Georgie’s Summer Sangria
Spice up your Summer with this delicious Merlot, Cointreau Sangria.
I bet you never thought of adding salad greens to your cocktail? Don’t worry, we’re not being health-freaks! Rocket is the star ingredient in this delicious red sangria giving it a delicate bitterness and crisp aroma. Georgie’s rich dry style merlot is perfect for this Sangria as the wine’s blackberry and plum flavours come alive along with fresh cut summer fruits!
- 2 (750 mL) bottles Georgie Orbach 2017 Merlot Riverina
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup Cointreau
- 450g strawberries, hulled and halved
- 3 oranges, thinly sliced
- 3 limes, thinly sliced
- 2 lemons, thinly sliced
- 4 cups fresh Rocket
- Stir together merlot, sugar and cointreau in a large jug until sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in the rocket, and use a wooden spoon, or rolling pin to mull (crush) the rocket so that the flavour is released.
- Add strawberries, lime, lemon and orange to the wine mixture, and lightly mull the fruit to release juices.
- Cover and refrigerate for anywhere from 1-12 hours (any longer and the rocket becomes bitter).
- Strain and serve over ice. Garnish with fresh strawberry halves, orange slices and rocket.